TIL how to make championship Aeropress coffee permalink
Sheltering in place for COVID-19 has me making more coffee at home. I’ve saved a boatload of money not paying for coffee (and usually an extra one for someone to keep me company). But lately I haven’t been satisfied with my craftsmanship.
I’ve tried various methods and recipes that incorporated
- changes to the vertical orientation of the Aeropress (a.k.a. The Inverted Method)
- the amount and granularity of the coffee grounds
- the amount of time to stir the coffee
- the amount of time to brew the coffee
- the amount and temperature of the water used (both during brewing and dilution)
- the number, thickness, or granularity of the coffee filters
My current iteration - based on the video above and the 2019 World Aeropress Champion Recipe - utilizes The Inverted Method, with 35g of coarsely ground coffee, brewed with 100 grams of 90° Celcius water and diluted with 120 grams of 92° Celcius water.
30+ grams of coffee seems like a lot - I’ll probably experiment with decreasing the amount of coffee and coarseness of the grind next.